Accounting Clerk Interview Questions
Accounting Clerks perform a variety of administrative tasks to support accounting departments. These tasks include reconciling bank statements, keeping accounting databases, and filing documents.
Before your interview, you should make sure your candidates have the necessary certifications if their duties involve bookkeeping responsibilities. Next, you can use these questions to discover if your candidates’ experience matches your requirements. Since this is usually an entry-level position, you can also identify training needs for candidates with potential.
For this position, it’s crucial to recruit a detail-oriented professional who is likely to thrive in an organized work environment. Keep an eye out for candidates who have an analytical way of thinking and can provide ideas about how to improve procedures. These kinds of skills will keep them motivated to perform repetitive tasks and contribute to your overall business operation.
Operational and Situational questions
- What are your primary responsibilities as an Accounting Clerk?
- What’s the Accounting department’s role in a company?
- Which accounting software programs have you used?
- Walk me through a successful bank reconciliation step-by-step.
- How would you design a spreadsheet to keep track of accounts payable?
- How do you ensure data typing accuracy?
- What suggestions would you make to improve our invoice-keeping process?
- How familiar are you with Excel? Mention some projects you worked on and some regular accounting tasks you completed on excel.
- What do you identify as confidential information and how do you secure it?
- How familiar are you with SFAS (Statement of Financial Accounting Standards)?
Accounting Clerk Behavioral questions
- Give an example of a goal you had in your previous position. What did you do to reach it?
- Describe a situation where you had multiple deadlines. How did you handle them?
- Have you ever implemented a change to speed up an accounting process?
- What would you like to learn more about?