Are you a candidate?
Make sure that you are interviewing the best Customer service representative candidates. Sign up for Workable’s 15-day free trial to hire better, and faster.
Customer Service Representative Interview Questions
The thing about hiring great Customer Support Representatives is that there’s only so much that you can train. You can educate them about the product, give them scripts, and walk them through manuals and processes, but after that, they have to be able to connect with your customer on a human level.
The best customer support representatives have a genuine desire to help customers. They’re patient, empathetic, and endlessly communicative. They love to talk. They can put themselves in their customers’ shoes and advocate for them when necessary. Customer feedback is priceless, and these are the people who can gather that for you. Problem-solving also comes naturally to customer care specialists. They are confident at troubleshooting and will investigate further if they don’t have enough information to resolve the situation.
Use these open-ended and situational questions to get a sense of how much customer service experience they have, and what motivates them to excel. Listen closely to see how well they work on teams, how clearly they explain processes, and how swiftly and thoughtfully they handle troubleshooting and conflict resolution.
Operational and Situational questions
- What interests you about our product and customers?
- What interests you about customer care?
- What relevant work experience has prepared you to do well in this role?
- How many customers do you usually talk to in one day?
- What are some common customer questions that you fielded in your previous role, and how did you answer them?
- What do you do when you don’t have enough information to answer a customer’s question?
- Let’s say that the customer you’re talking to is complaining about a well-known problem with your product. How do you diffuse the situation?
- Describe a time you turned a negative situation with a customer into a positive one.
- Describe a time you calmed down an angry customer.
- How do you respond when a customer tells you that you’re taking too long to help them?
- Describe a time a customer gave you valuable feedback about a product.
- How have you collaborated with your teammates to achieve a common goal?
- Have you ever suggested a way to increase revenue, lower costs, or improve efficiency?
- This job can be repetitive. What motivates you to do well?