Field Service Technician Interview Questions
Field Service Technicians visit clients on-site to provide equipment maintenance, perform system upgrades or troubleshoot emergencies. They use their technical skills and product training to ensure the proper use of machines and electronic devices and to ensure client satisfaction.
To succeed in this role, your candidates need to be able to solve problems and explain technical details to a non-technical audience. Ask them to describe how they would troubleshoot a problem you usually encounter. If they can quickly come up with an effective solution or suggest something innovative, they’re probably a good fit for this position. In some cases, they won’t have sufficient information to solve a given problem. You can use situational questions to see how your candidates would approach ambiguous issues and how they would identify customer needs.
During your interview process, be mindful of the fact that your Field Service Technician is also the face of your company. These questions can help you identify candidates who are responsible and can work independently, with minimum or no supervision. You should also consider asking about their availability to work flexible hours and their ability to travel if those requirements apply to your company.
Operational and Situational questions
- A customer problem is taking you longer than expected and you’re running late for your next appointment. What do you do?
- How do you prepare yourself before meeting a client on-site? What equipment do you usually take with you?
- You are dealing with a customer problem, you’ve tried different ways but nothing seems to work. What’s your next step?
- You are asked to fix a printer. All you know is that when the customer tries to print, there’s an ‘error’ notification. What additional questions would you ask to better identify the problem?
- Are you familiar with our products? Can you think of some of our common customer queries?
- How do keep a record of your work? Do you use any tools or systems to help you organize and file the cases you have handled?
Field Service Technician Role-specific questions
- What does excellent after-sales support mean to you?
- Do you have a valid driver’s license?
- Walk me through the process of updating the computer operating system.
- How do you install antivirus software?
- How do you access the Recovery Control in Windows?
- Can you name a few ways to increase a laptop’s battery life?
Field Service Technician Behavioral questions
- Describe a situation where you have dealt with an angry customer. How did you handle their complaints?
- What resources do you use to discover the latest technology trends?
- What’s your area of expertise? Is there something you would like to learn more about?
- Describe the hardest problem you have faced so far. What made the situation complex and how did you manage to handle it?