Make sure that you are interviewing the best HR officers. Sign up for Workable’s 15-day free trial to hire better, faster.
HR Officer Interview Questions
HR Officers are responsible for supporting HR functions from recruiting and payroll to designing policies and procedures. This position includes a variety of tasks, so you need to make sure your candidates have a broad knowledge of HR principles and concepts.
Your ideal candidate has previous relevant experience and shows continuous interest in the Human Resources field. As there are many administrative tasks in the HR Officer position, you should ensure your candidates have an eye for detail and the ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
As with any Human Resources role, you should focus on candidates with excellent communication and people skills. You should pay attention to candidates who let the conversation flow smoothly and interact naturally and pleasantly. These questions will also help you identify professionals who can multitask and can handle confidential information.
Operational and Situational questions
- Describe the recruitment lifecycle. How can you support the process end-to-end?
- What are the most important company policies we should implement?
- Give a specific example of a policy you don’t agree with.
- How do you stay motivated while handling repetitive tasks, like record keeping or payroll administration?
- What do you define as employee confidential information? If a co-worker initiated a discussion about confidential information, what would you do?
- What perks and benefits would you suggest to improve employee engagement?
- How do you define company culture? What changes would you implement to adjust to a diverse team?
- Are you familiar with HR software? Mention any tools you’ve previously used.
HR Officer Behavioral questions
- What has been the most stressful situation you have ever found yourself in at work? How did you handle it?
- Tell me about a time when you had to work on a team with someone you did not get along with. What happened?
- Describe a situation where you had to resolve a conflict between coworkers.