Market Category Specialist Job – Guinness Nigeria PLC is a major market for Diageo: Guinness Nigeria operates in the unique and fast growing alcohol industry of over 15mhl beer potential. It is the only company that does Total Beverage Alcohol (TBA) in Nigeria. It’s an on trade dominated market but with a fast growing off trade channel.
Market Category Specialist Job
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Market Category Specialist Job, Supply (Africa)
Reference ID: JR1055847
Location: Ikeja, Lagos
Employment Type: Full Time
- As the custodians of iconic brands such as Baileys, Guinness, Smirnoff, and Johnnie Walker, at Diageo, we source, produce and deliver 6.5 billion litres of world-leading products every year, across 180 markets globally.
- The commercial challenges here are large, diverse and endlessly fascinating. Never more so than in Procurement.
- As an organisation, we spend over £5 billion per year. And as the driving force in this expenditure, our Procurement teams make a far-reaching contribution to our business, productivity and growth goals – right across the globe. Premium quality and end-to-end, sustainable value are how we measure our success – across services, partnerships and products.
- We always want to be the best and, along with engaging the best talent to work with the best products, this is how we attempt to do it.
- Ultimately, this is about people as much as numbers. We build great relationships internally and externally – so we understand our needs and how to meet them. Every time.
- Join us in Procurement and, if you’re driven, resilient and share our pioneering spirit, there’s a world of opportunity here for you.
About the Role
- Market Category Specialist Job Deliver Procurement outcomes for Diageo within one or more categories of spend, through effective business partnering and collaboration across Procurement Centres of Excellence (CoE).
This includes (but is not limited to):
- Applying strategic procurement excellence, through creation of or support in creation of category strategies built on Diageo’s best methods, standards, and tools, to deliver procurement value.
- Leading or supporting Sourcing activities for specific categories of spend procured in-Market.
- Supporting end-to-end execution of category strategies, working with global and other market category Specialist in line with strategy.
- Work dynamically across categories in flexible resource pools where they are already established & pro-actively look for opportunities where flexible resourcing could be set-up. This is a resourcing approach intended to smooth out peaks & troughs of demand and drive accelerated career development.
- The Market Category Specialist Job is accountable for active participation in a global community of procurement professionals in one or more spend categories, including joining regular meetings, supporting alignment around strategy, supporting development of own and others’ capabilities & expertise and sharing of standard methodologies.
- Developing subject-matter expertise for specific spend categories, supporting collection and use of supply market expertise and clear direction to Analysts for development and application of supply market data and information to strategy development and sourcing.
- Applied Expertise:
- Build, run and grow expertise in one or more spend categories, including understanding of supply markets, suppliers, collaborators and how to negotiate supply and demand.
- Become a subject-matter expert and share with others in a global community of category professionals.
- Apply expertise and standards to identify and win new value for Diageo.
- Category Excellence:
- Lead development of best-in-class market data and knowledge, category strategies and sourcing events by applying Diageo standards for category excellence.
- Contribute to improvement of existing and development of new tools & techniques.
- Business Partnering:
- In close alignment with category managers, develop and grow relationships with collaborators, partners and suppliers for deeper insights into needs and capabilities; articulate requirements and deliver insights for greater value from stakeholder collaboration.
- Strategy Development:
- For one or more spend categories, support development and evolution of category strategies by (1) capturing, articulating and confirming business requirements; (2) researching and analysing market dynamics; and (3) assessing opportunities and proposing solutions.
- Best in Class Capabilities:
- Generate insights and opportunities from internal and external benchmarking, develop cost models to consider scenarios with suppliers and stakeholders and build & evolve analytics capabilities that allow regular review and improvement of strategies.
- Strategy Execution:
- Support end-to-end execution of category strategies across geographical and organisational boundaries.
- Track and monitor progress against performance goals, providing detailed, monthly KPI data (including reconciliation to category team tracking projects, savings, supplier performance, etc.).
- Work in close collaboration with other Market colleagues aligned behind relevant strategies and facilitate escalations.
- Support to Global CoEs:
- Support Global CoEs with strategy development, including for CM4 (global agreements), CM3 (above-region leverage) and CM2 (above-market leverage), as required.
- Especially, ensure that Market and local market data and requirements are addressed fully.
- Market Sourcing:
- Execute sourcing activities for CM2 (above-market leverage) and CM1 (truly market-specific) spend categories.
- Engage community members as required, apply Diageo Procurement best practice standard
- Market Contracting:
- For relevant sourcing projects, support effective planning, preparation and application of the Negotiation Toolkit.
- Support category managers in negotiating and closing contracts. Execute contracts into the system.
- Manage contracts and contract compliance (Diageo stakeholder compliance and Supplier compliance) through contract lifecycles.
- Mitigate Strategic Risks:
- As part of category strategy execution, identify, record and follow-up risk mitigations in line with category strategies and best practice.
- Mitigate Sourcing Risks:
- Identify corporate, supply, supplier and other risks associated with sourcing activities, put mitigations in place and execute them, engaging all relevant stakeholders, partners and suppliers to ensure the mitigations are successful.
- Apply and Improve Tools & Techniques:
- Apply Diageo best practice standard, ensuring the most recent and relevant approaches are always applied; use formal governance and peer review to ensure the quality and efficacy of risk management; contribute to development of standards.
Supplier Relationship Management:
- Supplier Relationship:
- Establish standards, ways of working and trust relationships with market suppliers in relevant categories; ensure Diageo best practices are applied and that there is a good foundation for strong performance, risk mitigation and rapid resolution of issues.
- Supplier Performance:
- Set KPIs, driving consistency across suppliers and markets, improving the value of data generated and applied and liaise with Supply sites for resolution of escalated issues.
- Supplier Development:
- In line with Procurement strategic supplier strategies, collaborate with suppliers to unlock breakthrough opportunities for the business; stimulate supplier capabilities to generate ideas for the future.
- Graduate or equivalent qualification and member of professional body, e.g., CIPS
- 2 – 3 years’ experience in Procurement, Finance, FMCG Commercial or other relevant role, with subject-matter expertise in supply markets and spend categories relevant to the role
- Track record of generating insights to influence decision-making; good commercial acumen
- Good systems knowledge (esp. SAP, PRDM, M/S Office, E-collaborate or similar systems & tools)
- Strong verbal, written and presentation; strong interpersonal skills
- Proven track record of consistent performance and delivery
- Demonstrated performance in projects and in cross-market teams, experience developing and executing category and procurement strategies, managing and negotiating with suppliers
- Strong analytical and financial awareness including a strong understanding of Annual Operating Plan (AOP) requirements and financial goals & value drivers relevant to the categories in scope
Category-specific / Market-specific Requirements:
- Pool roles may be aligned to specific sub-categories / categories however a degree of flexibility will be required in managing data needs across all categories & geographies within the Africa Source CoE team.
- The Market Specialist is expected to lead a team of Market Analysts in providing a standard level of service to the categories that they support, comprising:
- Vendor change management (new Supplier Service Hub), ad hoc requests for support in any key area within categories, eSourcing events, Buyers matrix maintenance, review and close Responsible Sourcing gaps, prepare Category review packs, month-end reporting, projects support, annual standard cost setting/AOP planning support, supplier performance management and contract creation.
- PIR maintenance, Risk Management for critical materials, implementation of Africa Source Sustainability (Society 2030) goals and other gap-closing activities to be defined by the MM, Risk, Governance & Sustainability (Africa).
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply