Video Journalist Job at BBC World Service – The BBC is an international multimedia broadcaster on radio, TV, online and social networks with a weekly global audience of 320 million. As part of an historic multi-million pound expansion of BBC Africa, the BBC World Service is introducing a wide range of new and exciting language and regional content to serve African and global audiences.
Video Journalist Job at BBC World Service
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Video Journalist Job
Job Reference: BBC/TP/2269572/60430
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Contract Type: 12 month Fixed Term Contract
Job Category: Journalism
Business Unit: News – WSG World Service
- The purpose of the role is primarily to initiate, gather and produce material for news, current affairs, and general programming.
- Routinely self-shooting and editing complete packages for use across multiple platforms.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- The main focus of the Video Journalist role is to routinely self-shoot and edit complete news packages, or equivalent.
The post holder will also be expected to undertake any of the key responsibilities included below:
- Use a range of video, audio and digital equipment and information technology to research, write, shoot, assemble, edit and deliver outputs in the appropriate medium, to the highest professional standards – recognising the distinct requirements of different types of output.
- Routinely self-shoots and edits complete packages.
- Routinely fulfills duties unsupervised.
- May be required to present the content on radio, TV or online. This might be live or recorded.
- May include the production and presentation of programmes. This might be live or recorded.
- Exercise editorial judgment in developing story ideas and producing accurate and impartial journalism.
- To undertake pre- and post-production and studio work, live and pre-recorded. Use a range of video, audio, and digital equipment and information technology to research, write, assemble, edit and deliver programs in the appropriate medium, to the highest professional standards.
- To liaise closely with other team members and with other departments in the BBC, to ensure that output material is shared, duplication is avoided, and best practice is upheld.
- Take a lead within a team setting or on delivering a specific piece of journalism or project as appropriate.
- To tailor different news treatments for different audiences ensuring that the output reflects the audiences we serve.
- To prioritise and plan activities taking into account all the relevant issues and factors such as deadlines, staffing and resources available.
- To produce engaging packages through a range of production skills.
- Delivering to tight deadlines while maintaining the highest editorial standards.
- Willing and adept at passing on skills through training and mentoring.
- At all times to carry out duties in accordance with the BBC health and safety policy.
- High level of responsibility and decision making; able to operate alone.
- No managerial responsibility. May be informally supported by junior staff i.e. Researchers, Coordinators and Assistants.
- Covers a wide range of journalism activity, producing news content and supporting the production and presentation of programming.
Knowledge, Skills, Training and Experience
- Ability to gather and prepare audio and video material for use on any service, recognising the distinct requirements of different types of output, self-shooting and editing routinely as the main focus of the role.
- Significant recent experience as a journalist, with a good knowledge of production techniques – especially self-shooting and editing.
- Demonstrates sound editorial and policy decisions based upon a clear understanding of the BBC’s distinctive news agenda, the requirements of news and current affairs coverage and the audience.
- Strong record of originating and developing stories for news programmes.
- Ability to use technology as required, gathering material for broadcast.
- Understands how a team works effectively.
- Able to build and maintain effective working relationships with a range of people.
- Demonstrates a commitment to improving diversity in the BBC and understands how individual differences can benefit the BBC.
- Effective planning and organising skills, ability to concentrate on several areas of work at one time, delivering consistently to deadlines and reacting positively to changes and conflicting priorities.
- Ability to write creatively in an engaging manner, adapt, produce and translate with accuracy, clarity and style appropriate to differing audiences and forms of media suitable for multimedia output.
- The flexibility and adaptability to sustain performance, particularly under pressure to meet deadlines and changing priorities and circumstances.
- An understanding of health and safety procedures and how they apply to broadcasting.
Application Closing Date
9th May, 2022.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online